In August we begin a series of 10 Author Spotlights with a brief Q&A introducing each of the amazing authors attending Romance, Wine & Chocolate ’18 on August 31st in Orlando, FL. Registration is FULL, but check for cancellations at rwc2018.eventbrite.com
Author #6: Get to know a little more about today’s featured author, the amazing Kristal Hollis!
Southern born and bred, Kristal Hollis
grew up amid cane fields and orange groves. Books fed her imagination, providing adventurous portals to ancient civilizations, medieval fiefdoms, alternate realities and futuristic worlds. Then, a friend gave her Johanna Lindsey’s FIRES OF
WINTER, a historical romance which ignited a life-long love affair with romantic fiction.
When a family medical situation required her to take a work sabbatical, Kristal
began penning deliciously dark paranormal romances as an escape from the real-life drama. Even though the crisis passed, her passion for writing continues.
A 2015 Golden Heart® finalist, she sold her qualifying manuscript “Howlin’ Hearts” to Harlequin Nocturne. Retitled, AWAKENED BY THE WOLF,
the book debuted in June 2016, launching the Wahyas of Walker’s Run series
lives with her husband and two rescued dogs at the edge of the enchanted forest that inspires her stories.
Enjoy this Q&A about Kristal Hollis:
1. What genre(s) do you write?
I’m published in paranormal romance and currently working on a contemporary romantic suspense.
2. Coffee or tea lover?
Both! I drink coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.
3. Name one thing on your bucket list.
I’ve wanted to visit Greece ever since my fourth grade teacher showed our class a slide show presentation of her trip.
4. Do you have pets?
We have two rescued dogs, Brave Little Basset- of course is a basset hound, and Monster Puppy — who is everything but a basset hound.
5. When I wake up every morning I… hit the snooze button at least twice.
6. Weirdest or unique thing you own. A sword. When I was single and living alone, my cousin bought me a sword for my birthday because I didn’t want to own a gun.
7. Do you have any hobbies or particular skills? I would love to say that I can spin yarn into gold, but alas that’s Rumpelstiltskin’s gig. I like trying new things, so I suppose that is my hobby. When someone wants to go to a new restaurant, I’m first in line to taste the cuisine. If someone wants to go to a hockey game, I’ll be the loudest one in the cheering section. I’ve climbed the waterfalls in Ocho Rios, taken a trip to Scotland on whim with my sister. Oh! And, I stop for turtles crossing the road and move them to safety.
8. What do you hope readers will experience or gain when reading your stories?
The underlying theme in my stories is that you have to let go of the harshness of the past in order to grab onto a better future. The characters help each other get to those emotional places and fall in love along the way. So, I hope readers not only enjoy the adventure, but feel inspired and encouraged to let go of whatever may be holding them back and go after their heart’s desire.
9. What inspired you to write CAPTIVATED BY THE SHE-WOLF?
One of my favorite places to visit is Brasstown Bald in Hiawasee, Ga. During a visit, several years ago, one of the Cradle of Forestry volunteers at the Visitors’ Center learned that I was a paranormal romance writer and gave me a copy of a Native American legend about a monstrous bird, called the Tlanuhwa, that once inhabited the area. She thought it would be a great story idea, and I agreed. But, finding the right story to incorporate the legend was tougher than I imagined. Until, I learned of the affinity between wolves and ravens. Suddenly, I had an organic way to incorporate the legend into the Wahyas of Walker’s Run series. I’m ecstatic about how the story evolved and CAPTIVATED BY THE SHE-WOLF is my favorite book in the series, so far.
A shifter finds his soul mate…
Ronni Lyles and
her son are just settling into their new pack when her dead husband’s
brother comes to claim them. Bodie Gryffon is looking for a safe place
to raise his daughter—a raven-shifter, just like him. What begins as a
purely practical alliance turns passionate. But Ronni senses that Bodie
has a secret—one that could force him to make a painful choice.
🙂 If you enjoy Lorelei’s Lit Lair and this post Subscribe here: Never Miss a Giveaway & Post!
. Please note that some cover images and text links connect to a Lorelei’s Lit Lair affiliate portal. Thank you so much for your support. It’s greatly appreciated.